Tuesday, April 3, 2018

DJJD Volume 31




Created By:  Jonathan Dysart (DJJD)
Original Creation Year:  2009
Year of Re-master:  2010

Song Listing


Side A
1.    Had a Dream (Sleeping with the Enemy):  Roger Hodgson
2.    Pressure:  Billy Joel
3.    Land of Confusion:  Genesis
4.    I Want Love:  Elton John

Side B
5.    Honesty:  Billy Joel
6.    How?:  John Lennon
7.    What Shall We Do Now? (Empty Spaces):  Pink Floyd
8.    Isn't It A Pity:  George Harrison

Side C
9. Amazing GraceJudy Collins
10. I'm Alive:  Electric Light Orchestra     
11. Believe:  Lenny Kravitz
12. The Man Comes Around:  Johnny Cash

Side D
13. I Believe In You:  Bob Dylan [Live version only available on YouTube]
14. Show Me the Way:  Styx 
15. Follow Me:  Paul McCartney
16. Only Because of You:  Roger Hodgson


Origin of the Album

              I took a major break from making anymore albums since my last album DJJD Volume 30.  I did not know if I would make another album at that time, because of just losing steam or the momentum.  That winter of early 2009, I had the conviction to make another one.  But to do so I would break one of my personal rules for these:  create an album from music tracks that I already owned.  The message, or goal, of mine was more important than my personal creative rule.
              The only songs that I extracted from the Amazon and YouTube websites were the following:  “Pressure” by Billy Joel, “Land of Confusion” by Genesis, “Amazing Grace” by Judy Collins, “The Man Comes Around” by Johnny Cash, “What Shall We Do Now? (Empty Spaces)” by Pink Floyd [remastered album], and “Show Me the Way” by Styx [remastered album].  All of the other songs came from my personal CD albums.  “Pressure” and “Land of Confusion” were the first songs that I started.  From there, this album was created fairly quickly with not a lot of revisions.

              Note that this was also the first album that I created without the use of the iTunes software.  I had completely moved all of my albums and songs from iTunes to Windows Media for more flexibility and transport.


Concept and Theme of the Album

             I nickname this album - the "GRACE" album.

            The inspiration of this album came from a dark time in my life around that period.  Working was getting more difficult than ever, my health was deteriorating, many of my friends were leaving, and the political and cultural climate of the United States was definitely breaking down.  I could not see anything optimistic ahead – no “light at the end of the tunnel”. 
              I was listening to my album DJJD Volume 27 and was recalling John Lennon’s first solo album after the Beatles breakup: “John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band”.  The album was nicknamed the “Primal Scream” album, which was inspired by John and Yoko’s undertaking of primal therapy with the guidance of Arthur Janov in London.  With the experience he received from the therapy, John was able to channel his emotions into an album of self-revelatory material.   It was John Lennon’s most personal album for his solo career. 



              Why can I not make my own “therapy” album, where I can get both of my frustrations out as well as getting inspiration at the same time?  I did that to a certain extent with DJJD Volume 27 and DJJD Volume 29.    I also wanted to make a secular Christian album at the same time in a way, interplaying most of those Christian rock songs that I like but were done by secular artists – or those artists who record music under a secular music industry.  Now I had the opportunity to do so.

              The first half of the album would show my personal pain, both inwardly (loneliness, loss, stress, etc.) and outwardly (culture, politics, current events, etc.).  The second half of the album would be mostly inspirational and Christian music, given me the hope to get through the personal pain.  To do that, I would have to use a lot of music that I already owned, which I have mentioned above.
           

Concept and the Album Cover

              Searching for the album cover was quite simple.  I wanted to find a picture that represented GOD’s grace, but a picture that is not so direct in its message (which I prefer artistically anyway).  Finding the picture was fast.  It was one of the first pictures that I found, when I Googled the word “Grace”.  The only adjustment I did on the picture was adding the album title.
              When I was remastering this album, the same picture existed on the internet.  So, I downloaded the same picture and added a different album title of a different font.  To create the back-album cover, I wanted to find a picture that represented Jesus through the Simon & Garfunkel song “Bridge Over Troubled Water”.  I found a great picture of that depiction, downloaded it, and applied the song listings as well as the album title.



No comments:

Post a Comment