Saturday, May 5, 2018

DJJD Volume 39




Created By:  Jonathan Dysart (DJJD)
Original Creation Year:  2018

Song Listing


Side A
1.    LoadedPrimal Scream
2.   Clint Eastwood:  Gorillaz
3.    Lee Van Cleef:  Primus
4.    Do I Have to Talk You Into It:  Spoon

Side B
5.    Coffee and TV:  Blur
6.    Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me):  Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel
7.    We Love YouThe Rolling Stones
8.    Dry the Rain:  The Beta Band
     "High Fidelity" related scene

Side C
9. The Universal:  Blur
10. Time is Running Out:  Muse
11. Rosebud was the Name of His SledBaron von Luxxury

Side D
13. The Castle:  The Flaming Lips
14. How Does It Make You Feel:  AIR
15. Everyday:  Slade
16. Shine On:  Jet
17. Ong OngBlur


Origin of the Album

          A new beginning.  A new me.  A more positive outlook.  Not much to say on this.   
            

Concept and Theme of the Album

      Like I mentioned above, a new beginning.  I basically took the electronic and British post-1990s to now approach, extending a new branch of music that I started out in DJJD Volume 36.  At this time, listening to traditional classic rock music was getting boring.  If I wanted to listen to them, I would just listen to some of my vinyl record collection.  For the DJJD collection, I wanted to [stealing from Star Trek] boldly go where I have not gone before.
          One of the major influence of this style and sound came from British artist Damon Albarn.  He originally started the band Blur, which I was introduced to with "Beetlebum" of DJJD Volume 27.  After that, he formed a British hip-hop band Gorillaz.  The song "Clint Eastwood" by Gorillaz I wanted to resurrect since I used to have that album.  But the song just did not fit with much of the albums I was making, until now.  Most of the Blur music were quite positive, except for the cautionary track "The Universal" - the dystopian song with a video spoofing that Stanley Kubrick classic "A Clockwork Orange".  "Intermission" is perfect is expressing where our world is going.  Now I am a big Blur fan!
        Other songs and tracks came through my DJJD Volume 36 project including Air, Baron Von Luxxury, and Spoon.  Other classics from my memory vault were from the Flaming Lips, the Rolling Stones (inspired by the TV show "Legion" and originally assisted by John and Paul of the Beatles), and Jet.  The Jet song "Shine On" could be almost a memorial for my future funeral - not being morbid but with a positive side of it.  I also added a track from my brother-in-law's favorite band Primus - a nod to him; plus it fits fine with the Gorillaz song "Clint Eastwood" with obvious connections.
       What sparked this album originally was watching a "Classic albums" TV show about Primal Scream, an upbeat Scottish 1990 band - who pioneered the Rave genre.  The track "Loaded" was perfect as a first track to "get things moving".
          All around - a positive and fun album.
     

Concept and the Album Cover

           To start my new image as well as showing my age, I bought some Scottish style Snap Brim hats.  These hats reminded me of what Dad used to where.  Now with me growing a beard (and planning to keep it for some time), wearing these Brim hats felt natural.  It brought out the Scottish and maturity in me. 
            Using the 1990s style look of minimalist art, I applied a picture of the Snap Brim hat, glasses, and album lettering using a new application called Paint 3D.  The back album used a font similar that in typical Nintendo NES video games to emphasize the 1990s look.

No comments:

Post a Comment