Friday, May 4, 2018

DJJD Volume 38



Created By:  Jonathan Dysart (DJJD)
Original Creation Year:  2017

Song Listing

Side A
1.    Knights of CydoniaMuse
2.   Talking Out of Turn:  The Moody Blues
3.    Walls (Circus):  Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
4.    Keep the Customer Satisfied:  Simon & Garfunkel

Side B
5.    I'm Slowly Turning Into You (Live):  The White Stripes
6.    Man of War:  Radiohead
7.    Guess I'm Doing FineBeck
8.    I Want You (She's So Heavy):  Halestorm

Side C
9. Now and Then:  The Beatles
       Fan alternative version
10. Hello My Old Friend:  Electric Light Orchestra
11. The Rain SongLed Zeppelin
12. Wonderous Stories:  Yes

Side D
14. Part 1: Overture
15. Part 2: Cross-pollination 
16. Part 3: Redemption


Origin of the Album

          This was the third album of the trilogy created in 2017.  In my opinion, the year 2017 was one of the greatest emotional and spiritually "roller coasters" I have been through, the biggest since 1987.  A lot of old "wounds" and emotions came out of that year, so much so that for sanity's sake had to drop or separate them from my life and move forward.  Many of them "false idols" I had to drop.  Instead of suppressing "past pains", I had to give it up.  There are things that I still am working on, with the help of the grace of God.  I still have problems like everyone else does, but I have a better perspective on them than ever before.  Instead of being fearful of the future, I want to face it - head on!  The past is the past. 
             Appropriately, this album was created in the last week of 2017, looking forward to the next.  It's time for a change.          

Concept and Theme of the Album

        Many of these tracks were leftovers not incorporated into the last two albums (DJJD Volume 36 and DJJD Volume 37).  Some of these songs (like the Moody Blues "Talking Out of Turn", "Walls (Circus)" by Tom Petty [RIP], the Beatles cover song by Halestorm, Beck's "Guess I'm Doing Fine", "The Rain Song" by Led Zeppelin, and John Lennon's "Grow Old With Me") is a direct response to the person described in DJJD Volume 37.  The others songs (The White Stripes, Radiohead's "Man of War", the unreleased Beatles anthology song "Now and Then" (originally written by John Lennon), ELO's "Hello My Old Friend", and the symphonic suite by Muse) conveys the need to change and move forward into the future.             
          The first track "Knights of Cydonia" reminded me of my childhood imaginary alias "The Warrior", the Mad Max superhero that I imagined in the past.  It too had the message of fighting back and "making things right".  Even Tom Petty's "Walls (Circus)" is a bit of a response to the theme of DJJD Volume 29, which the theme is about life as a circus.  The Simon and Garfunkel track is basically dealing with the stress of work.  At the end, Yes's "Wonderous Stories" is just a beautiful song.
     

Concept and the Album Cover

           The album covers are directly related to the themes of the album.  The front cover fits visually of "looking to the future" while the back cover, being as erotic like DJJD Volume 4, represents the response to DJJD Volume 37 as mentioned above.  Pretty straightforward.

No comments:

Post a Comment