Friday, June 7, 2013

DJJD Volume 4




Created By:  Jonathan Dysart (DJJD)
Original Creation Year:  2004
Year of Re-master:  2010

Song Listing

Side A
1.    Squeeze Box:  The Who
2.    You Can Leave Your Hat On:  Joe Cocker
3.    You Sexy Thing:  Hot Chocolate
4.    Tonight:  The Raspberries
5.    Draggin' the Line:  Tommy James & the Shondells

Side B
6.    (Ghost) Riders in the Sky:  The Ramrods
7.    El Paso:  Marty Robbins
8.    Banapple Gas:  Cat Stevens
9.    Are You Experienced?:  Jimi Hendrix
10. Hold Your Head Up:  Argent

Side C
12. While You See a Chance:  Steve Winwood
13. She's Waiting:  Eric Clapton
14. Go All The Way:  The Raspberries
15. Big Bottom:  Spinal Tap

Side D
(Sediment’s version not available on YouTube)
17. The Time Warp:  The Rocky Horror Picture Show
18. Susanne:  Weezer
19. Because I Got High:  Afroman

Origin of the Album

I just finished my first real concept album that of DJJD Volume 3.  That album was really good, but it was a very somber album in terms of mood.  I wanted to make my next album to be more fun and positive. 
I still had the objective of retrieving all of those 45 RPM songs my parents owned that I enjoyed as a kid: “Go All The Way”, “Tonight”, “(Ghost) Riders in the Sky”, “El Paso”, “Banapple Gas” and “Draggin’ the Line”.  Some of them I could not retrieve because it was not available, so I had to cut some corners. 
Also, I had a bunch of additional songs that I retrieved for the DJJD Volume 3 project, which I could not fit in that album:  “Hold Your Head Up”, “Big Bottom”, and “The Time Warp”.


Concept and Theme of the Album

              My intentions were not to make an explicit concept album, just a fun album.  I had no idea of what type of theme it would be, except for a positive one.  It wasn’t until I started collecting the songs that I want to incorporate in there, when I saw a general idea.
Starting with the acquisition of “You Can Leave Your Hat On”, I had a bunch of songs that were sexual in nature.  I then retrieved some songs related to my 45 RPMs past, some mellow but positive songs, and some movie soundtracks. 
              Using my template I devised in constructing albums, I put most of the catchy and sexually explicit songs first, and then the songs from my 45 RPMs past, then the positive mellow songs, and last but not least the movie soundtracks.  In my opinion, this structure made the album enjoyable in its order and not due to any explicit concept.


Concept and the Album Cover


When trying to think up of an album cover, as I mentioned before, a majority of the songs were sexually explicit.  Since this album contained an Eric Clapton song and a Steve Winwood song, I was thinking about their famous album covers:  the “Blind Faith” and the “Eric Clapton was Here” album, which I both own.  




          I had something similar as a cover for DJJD Volume 2, but not as explicit.  Therefore, I decided to “push the envelope” and “go all the way”, no pun intended.  The original album cover version was taking from a website for Breast Exams.  When doing the remastered version of the album, I could not find that same picture again, so I decided to push the envelope further with this supermodel picture.  The back album cover for the remastered album is less explicit (with a brunette model).  To add alittle silliness to it, I added a shawdow of a wolf howling to the model, like the stereotypical cartoon characters would do when seeing a hot babe.
It’s the closest I pushed it without actually having a full frontal nude female, like many past album covers do – tease.  Some people cannot handle that explicit a cover, but just following the tradition of classic rock album covers (especially Spinal Tap’s).

No comments:

Post a Comment