Friday, June 7, 2013

DJJD Volume 3




Created By:  Jonathan Dysart (DJJD)
Original Creation Year:  2004
Year of Re-master:  2010

Song Listing

Side A
1.    Short People:  Randy Newman
2.    Walk on the Wild Side:  Lou Reed
3.    FM (No Static at All):  Steely Dan
4.    Alabama Song (Whiskey Bar):  The Doors
5.    Ice Cream Man:  Van Halen

Side B
6.    Baby Driver:  Simon & Garfunkel 
7.    Brown Eyed Girl:  Van Morrison
8.    Political Science:  Randy Newman
9.    The Ballad of Billy the Kid:  Billy Joel

Side C
10. Time:  David Bowie
11. Dust in the Wind:  Kansas
12. Black Hole Sun:  Soundgarden
13. Song for Guy:  Elton John

Side D
14. The Scientist:  Coldplay
15. Dreamer:  Ozzy Osbourne
18. We Live Again:  Beck


Origin of the Album

After successfully composing my first album in three years DJJD Volume 2, I now have a hardware, software and the opportunity to create even more albums for the future:  iTunes, the Internet, and a CD burner at work.  The iTunes song catalog has been growing steadily, along with known and rare tracks to various genres.  However, I still needed at the time to look through other websites for other songs.
Now I needed to get an idea or a concept to work with…. And I got it:  my college years.

Oasis in the Desert

Having to endure the death of my father on my sophomore year in high school 1987 and dealing with typical social issues at family and peers, I just wanted to graduate and get out of this hell hole known as Springfield.  Having a career was not my top priority, but what I wanted to do I did not know.    
             
And I’ve got a strong urge to fly.  But I got nowhere to fly to.
Nobody Home (Pink Floyd: The Wall)

              It was career day on my senior year, where seniors would go to the Springfield Civic Convention Center and check out possible colleges or universities.  We were given a booklet of the major colleges in the Midwest region with their basic information.  For the heck of it, I checked out majors that involved art, math, and technology – with Architecture being the closest thing to embark on.  The only reasonable colleges I found were the University of Illinois, Western University, Southern Illinois University, and some no-name Christian college in Elgin - Judson College.
              I had no expectations whatsoever at the Civic Center, but I felt somehow compelled to inquire more about Judson College.  I knew one of the representatives there from high school:  David Syverson.  Well, Judson College peaked my interest, and one thing leads to another.  I received a recommendation from pastor Roger Compton of Central Baptist Church – my church at the time.  I signed loan documents through Marine Bank of Springfield, not knowing whatsoever how to pay it back or the concept of a loan.  And then on the fall of 1990, after graduating from Springfield High School, I went to Judson College.  I was enrolled at Judson College for two years but had to drop out due to lack of funds. 
Due to that experience, I became very depressed, having to go back to Springfield once again.  It was the assistance of Aunt Patricia, my mother, and some common sense from Rush Limbaugh, that eventually I finished my Computer Science degree at Sangamon State University in an additional three-year span.   In Sangamon State University (eventually became the University of Illinois of Springfield), I was more determined to finish the degree, get a job, and pay off the student loans.  Therefore, the experience at SSU was not as exciting as at Judson.  SSU was just a goal to complete.

              In hindsight, being in college was definitely divinely driven by the GOD.  I had no planning whatsoever on this and had no control over it.  Those times, especially those two years at Judson College, were one of my best moments at a young age.  And I wish I had that back.   Judson College was an Oasis in the Desert both figuratively and in some cases literality.  Spiritually I was escaping my doomed past within Springfield and now was in this oasis, where students and teachers treated me with respect as well as being exposed and learning for the first time the Word of God.   In a literal sense, Judson College was an oasis.  Elgin is a real dirty and crummy suburb of Chicago.  Right smack in the middle of this dirt ball is Judson College, which is a beautiful campus environment - like leaving Kansas and going into the Land of Oz.


Left:  Jim Smith; Center:  Tim; Right:  Jonathan Dysart

            

Dean Pinnow – My Musical Maharishi


Left:  Jonathan Dysart; Center:  Dean Pinnow; Right:  a sophomore woman

           My major influences started out in this order: (1) Late 70s – Star Wars soundtrack by John Williams; Electric Light Orchestra, the Beatles, the Ventures, and other classic rock hits from my father; ABBA, Donna Summer, and other soft rock hits from my mother; (2) early 80s – new wave and some hard rock; (3) late 80s – musical renaissance with classic rock and leaving top 40 music:  Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Doors, Supertramp (influenced by Uncle Byron), Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Queen, etc. (4) And then the early 1990s at Judson College.  Jim Smith and others peers influenced me with hard rock and some heavy metal.  However, the huge musical influences came from Dean Pinnow, who was pretty much the James Dean “Rebel without a Cause” at Judson College.
While others were jamming to the contemporary Christian music, Dean and I were jamming to the Beatles, Steve Miller, Lou Reed, The Doors, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Supertramp, the Grateful Dead, Meatloaf, Electric Light Orchestra, Paul Simon, Billy Joel, and others.  Dean was pulling out vinyl records, CDs, and cassettes like a professional classic rock DJ.  He taught me a lot of rock history and the various meanings of famous rock lyrics.   He was my Yoda, or (using Beatles analogy) my Maharishi of classic rock.
I met Dean of another acquaintance, not shockingly, through the Beatles’ White Album.  Dean discovered that I was the man on campus to access Beatles music, both on cassette and the latest medium at that time CDs.  We met making a borrowing exchange.  He borrowed White Album CD album while I borrowed two of his CDs:  Supertramp’s Even in The Quietest Moments and Steve Miller’s Saving Grace.  We kept this going for a couple of weeks, hanged out at night in the recreation room playing music on my Boom Box, one thing laid to another, and we became best friends.
             
There were some memorial events (good and bad) in Judson College, closely associated with both my friendship with Dean and our love of classic rock.

ART APPRECIATION CLASS

Art Appreciation Class was mandatory for all students – split by quarter into two subjects:  Art Appreciation and Music Appreciation.  For many students, this was a bore.  For me, I was in seventh heaven.  I actually was going to change majors from Architecture / Computer Science that to Art.
My favorite moment occurred at the last week of the Music Appreciation class.  We’ve gone through all the major western music, from Bach’s Baroque period up to the Rhapsody in Blue by Gershwin.    The class before our final exam covered 20th-century music, from American Jazz to contemporary rock. 
Before I left for this class (one hour earlier), I glanced over my CD collection for some reason.  I noticed that both my Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band and Beatles Past Masters Volume 2 CDs were missing.   I went fanatic because no one borrowed my CDs without asking me before. 
At the Music Appreciation class, the professor was reviewed over American Blues, Jazz, and Country music, and then he went into contemporary rock.  He first played songs by Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, and Bob Dylan.  And then I mentioned what he said is “the biggest pop/rock band in the 20th century” - The Beatles.  The professor started playing Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and Revolution, the same tracks that would be found on my two missing CD albums.  I was both embarrassed, face growing red, and ecstatic at the same time.  My pride grew big that day.  Everyone in class knew they were my CDs.
After class the professor’s assistant gave me back those CDs, thus thanking me.  He mentioned he tried to reach me but was unavailable.  Knowing where I had those CDs, Dean told the professor’s assistant where they were located.
             
CONTROVERSY OVER DEAN’S PLAYLIST

Dean Minnow had a major in Communications.  He wanted to be a Disk Jockey or something similar.  To get some experience, Dean acquired a campus job - a DJ for our local radio station.  The station only had enough power to reach only our campus, so it was not a commercial station.  The airtime would be from 7:00 AM to 12:00 PM.  Dean was given the 10:00 PM to 12:00 PM time slot on Friday.
One day, Dean wanted to borrow my White Album CD album so he could dub it on tape at the station.  He initially wanted to listen to Revolution 9 backward to see if the rumors were correct.   He also wanted the last track Goodnight, sung by Ringo Starr, to close out the station every night.  He was given some leeway to play other songs besides the mandatory station list.  I thought that was an excellent idea.
On Friday night, Dean asked me to listen to his broadcast, because he was going to do something special.  So I agreed.  I can’t forget the spring night - lying in bed, listening to the radio from my boom box, and having all the lights out in the room.  My bed was right at the bed, so I had a nice cool spring breeze coming in.  It was wonderful.
At the beginning of his broadcast, Dean played all the mandatory songs – a bunch of no-name Christian music to me.  Around 11:45 PM, Dean got on the radio to announce so some special songs to close the broadcast.  The last tracks played are the following in order: (1) The classical song Bolero by Ravel (2) The Window by Steve Miller from his album Fly like an Eagle (3) Goodnight by the Beatles.  The tracks were perfect for that late summer night; still, love playing music at night.
That night I congratulated Dean for the broadcast.  The next day was another story.  The Communication department fired him for playing secular music on a Christian station.  I was so furious at them that I stopped listening to Christian music at that time, due to the downright hypocrisy.   The college radio station would play songs from secular artists covered by Christian bands. For example, I heard the covers of Won’t Be Fooled Again by the Who, Mrs. Robinson and Bridge over Troubled Waters by Simon & Garfunkel, and God Gave Rock ‘n’ Roll and Hold Your Head Up by Argent.  They would not even allow the classical song Bolero – complete instrumental with no lyrics.  There were students banning Amy Grant because she went secular.  A guest pastor was criticized in our chapel for playing a small bit of Maybe I’m Amazed and Let It Be from Paul McCartney.

TALENT SHOW

              Dean and other friends of mine were going to create a band for the upcoming Talent show.  They planned to perform Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison, Obla-Di Obla-Da by the Beatles, and Walk on the Wild Side by Lou Reed.  The organizers of the Talent show agreed to it, on the conditions of adjusting the lyrics for Brown Eyed Girl and Walk on the Wild Side due to its sexuality. 
Dean and the band needed me for the songs and my Boom Box, to assist on their rehearsals.    Feeling like a fifth wheel, since I could not play any instruments, I could only have managed the songs while they were rehearsing at the Art Department.  I made a decision right there to change my major to Art – taking Piano and Drum classes as well as Sketching and other drawing classes.
The talent show was a smash.  Dean and the gang were playing it perfectly.  This was so memorable that two of those songs Dean performed went on this album.

FALLOUT IN JUDSON:  THE LAST DAYS

It was the end of finals week at our sophomore year.  I was taking one extended three-week class of FORTRAN, thinking that this was my last computer class ever to take.  That night, we were allowed to leave off campus at this time (freshmen and sophomores were not allowed off campus unless emergency). 
We got a bunch of beer to drink out in the woods.  I just made it legal for 21 two months before, so it was awesome.  We then decided to move the party to someone’s house.  This guy had this beautiful teenage blond girl passing a bong filled with pot.  We smoked it and smoked it like it was a Cheech and Chong movie.  I was having so much fun, that I did not want to stop.
After the party the next day, Dean was packing up to go back to his hometown in Milwaukee.  We all said our goodbyes, saying that we’ll meet next year and become roommates.  We planned to paint the walls of our campus room into a music, party room:  One wall done with Pink Floyd’s the Wall, the other wall of The Rocky Horror Picture Show, beads placed nearby the door, the lights replaced with black lights, and me bringing my stereo and TV in to make it the “hangout” of the campus.  We agreed to call it Strawberry Fields – the symbol and physical place that was young John Lennon’s place of refuge.  Everything was set up, but….
I was not able to get sufficient funds from the bank to go back to Judson.  As I mentioned before, I was devastated.  The last message I got from Dean was during that summer after, where he asked me to go to the Steve Miller Band concert at Soldier Field.  I couldn’t go due to the money.  Again, I was devastated.
A year later at Cherry Hills, I found out what happened to Dean by David Syverson.  Dean was kicked out for breaking school rules.  I have not heard from Dean ever since, except on Facebook through his wife.
Goodbye – Dean.  You will not be forgotten.  This album is mainly dedicated to you.

 Concept and Theme of the Album

              On DJJD Volume 2 two songs were a direct link to my Judson College times:  New York Groove by Ace Frehley and Closer to the Heart by Rush.  They were associated and dedicated to one of my best friends there Jim Smith.  From there, I started reminiscing those Judson College years – my “Oasis in the Desert”.     I started listing songs which I believed best represented my time at Judson, heavily influenced by Dean Pinnow, Jim Smith, and others.   Since I could not list all of them due to disk space, I picked other songs that represented an artist, like Billy Joel.
              I wanted to express on the album what it felt being at Judson, enjoying those great memories, regretting not able to go back, and being depressed that my current circumstance was not so great.  This is how I broke down the album: (1) The first half was strictly about the Judson College years (2) The second half is about my regrets not there, my current circumstance, and how I am trying to overcome the depression.
              DJJD 1987 and the first two albums incorporated personal thought and feelings when constructing them.  This album nonetheless was my first attempt at a true concept album.  I would make better ones later, but this was the start of it.


Concept and the Album Cover

I planned to create the album cover that represented by college years – both at Judson College and Sangamon State University.  Originally I thought of using a scenic picture of Judson College, but there was no associated internet website; the internet was still an infancy at that time.  Because of that, if I could find one on the internet, but I could not find one. 
Instead, I went for an abstract picture representing the college, mainly a person wearing the traditional graduation gown, with the hat and the degree in a scroll.  I found one to my liking, but it was only a black and white image.  To alleviate that, I applied a wood grain background.  From there the color scheme was manipulated to a more orange and yellow combination, instead of the bland brown color.  To fill in the left and right sides of the cover, I added the two representative logos as well as other generic college icons, including some vinyl albums to denote its music.
When remastering this album in 2009, the background was refurbished with a better background color scheme, along with newer logos, icons, and fonts.  These image manipulations were all done using Roxio PhotoSuite and Microsoft Paint.
              For the back album cover, I decided to scan a picture of me at the Herrick Chapel taken by my mother at the time.  The picture really ties in with the overall concept of the album.


No comments:

Post a Comment