Monday, June 10, 2013

DJJD Volume 12





Created By:  Jonathan Dysart (DJJD)
Original Creation Year:  2005
Year of Re-master:  2010

Song Listing

Side A
1.    Heart of Glass:  Blondie
2.    Ray of Light:  Madonna
3.    All I Wanna Do:  Sheryl Crow
4.    Bette Davis Eyes:  Kim Carnes
5.    I Try:  Macy Gray

Side B
6.    Ring Ring: ABBA
7.    Midnight Train to Georgia:  Gladys Knight & the Pips
8.    It's a Heartache:  Bonnie Tyler
9.    Cry Baby:  Janis Joplin
10. Give Me One Reason:  Tracy Chapman

Side C
11. Beautiful Stranger:  Madonna
12. The Tide is High:  Blondie
13. Think (Freedom):  Aretha Franklin
14. Better Be Good to Me: Tina Turner

Side D
15. Milk:  Garbage
16. Nothing Compares 2 U:  Sinead O'Connor
17. After the Glitter Fades:  Stevie Nicks
18. True Colors:  Cyndi Lauper
19. Love to Love You Baby:  Donna Summer

  
Origin of the Album

              After creating DJJD Volume 11, I was plum out of any original ideas.  This would be the beginning of a creative low for me personally.  I already have done as much as I can over the dealings with work and with traveling.  I've already done some classic rock albums, like DJJD Volume 5 and DJJD Volume 8
            The only idea that came to me came from Sheryl Crow’s “A Change Would Do You Good” from DJJD Volume 11 and a couple of Madonna’s CD singles that I bought.  I first wanted to add the song “All I Wanna Do” by Sheryl Crow into an album, but how.  I then went to the two Madonna’s CD singles – “Ray of Light” and “Beautiful Stranger” that my sister was playing a lot.  Since my sister at that time had the propensity in ruining my CDs, as usual the Madonna’s CD singles were pretty much scratched up.  I thought that I better consolidate those songs into one CD, and sell or throw the originals away.  I did this technique before with my abused 80’s compilation CDs, thus creating DJJD Retro 80’s Volume 1 and so on.  

            The only conception of an album that I could think of was to create an album composed entirely of female artists.  That gave me the opportunity to consolidate other female oriented songs that I liked, which would not usually fit into my notion of a “concept” album.  Like DJJD Volume 10 – the country music CD, this would be my “Time Life” compilation of female rock artists. 


Concept and Theme of the Album

              The only concept, besides the obvious one, would be the type of music.  Unfortunately, too many female artists are stuck in that Madonna – Michael Jackson mode where the dance performance (or the video) is more important than the music itself.  The cast of characters is unfortunately too long:   Brittany Spears, Miley Cyrus, Janet Jackson, Pamela Anderson, and so forth.  John Lennon use to rip on this type of music as “f***** dance music with no soul”; he would even blame the older Elvis in the movies for that too. 
            I wanted to have female artists who had genuine music talent.  The two songs from Madonna is the farthest that I will go with her.  They might not be instrumental musicians, but they have a certain level of talent besides being qualified from Disney or American Idol – the two main reasons for the decline of American pop and rock music.

            I did major music adjustments on this album during the remaster like I did to DJJD Volume 10, just to add some excitement to it and add more blues-oriented artists (Tracy Chapman and Aretha Franklin) and some superstars (Tina Turner and Stevie Nicks).  I was not very satisfied with the original setup.


Concept and the Album Cover

              Being a female artists’ album, I wanted an album cover that represents the female in her beauty without getting to the naughtiness that I did with DJJD Volume 2 and DJJD Volume 4.  It would be more Greek or sophisticated looking.

          When originally creating this album, I stumbled upon a photographer’s gallery on the internet, where he would take pictures of his girlfriend underneath the water in a beautiful setting.  I picked one of the photographs and made an album for it, with very little additions or alternations.



No comments:

Post a Comment